Sunday, April 1, 2012

June 3-15, 2011: Mike had his BFA final show.

The final requirement for Mike's BFA program at BYU was to create a graphic design exhibit for display at the HFAC (BYU's arts buildng).  During fall semester, his class researched a subject/topic that interested them. Then, in winter semester they worked on presenting their ideas visually/artistically.  Mike could probably explain the requirement better I can, but anway, he decided to research the topic of immigration.  He had a hard time deciding how to implement his ideas at first, but I think the final product turned out great!

This board explains the title of Mike's show and part of the inspiration behind it.

Mike built this "plinko" machine from scratch.  Doesn't it look awesome?

Some infographics he made to illustrate his research.


Instructions for the machine.  We had a ton of trouble getting the plunger to have the right amount of power (it broke several times) but it sort of worked!






The division between north and south.

My family checking it out.





Other students from Mike's program got together to put on their reception.

I'm so proud!  :)



Mike also got some interesting quotes in his guest book; I'm going to copy  a couple of them.

"I like art that influences my life and makes me think and more than that makes me think of how to be better. I appreciate you creating something beautiful that did this."

"Awesome interactive piece!  I looked at it and thought 'of course I will be North side. I was born in America.  I'm lucky and rich; that's just how it is.' That made me pause and realize how none of it's deserved.  I never realized I've been thinking that all this time.  Thanks for making me think."

Back to me (Alison):  As you can see, I love those responses! I'm a firm believer that more people in this world need to spend time doing just that: THINK! 

No comments: