Monday, May 19, 2008

Substitute Teaching

For the past week or so I have been substitute teaching while I look for another long-term summer job. Sometimes it is extremely crazy, but for the most part I actually like it. I first started subbing about 3 years ago when I came home from Idaho. Since then I have just subbed at random times when I had available days. I do all different grade levels and classes. These past few days I have subbed for a high school math class, junior high English and geography classes, sixth grade, first grade, and special-ed kindergarten. So, as you can see, I get a little taste of everything. I'm currently attempting to major in English Teaching, which means I will be certified to teach English in High School or Junior High when I graduate.
If I wasn't going to be teaching High School, I think I might like to teach elementary school. The kids are so cute. I think around second grade would be the best age. They are old enough that they aren't so hard to teach, but still young enough to be sweet and lovable. (Once they get to about fourth grade that starts to go away for some!) Another fun thing about younger kids is that they usually actually like their teachers. They will even develop affection for you if you are only there for one day! These are some of the drawings and cards I have gotten from the kids I've taught in past years:

These are all pictures taken from pages of my scrapbook
This is what I look like, apparently.

I'm really not sure what this is supposed to represent, but it was for me. :)
You can't really see, but underneath the black crayon it says, "I like you Miss Tyler"
Mickey Mouse without a nose, still pretty good though, right?
This note is probably my favorite. I had a fifth grade class that I taught about 5 or 6 times one year because the students asked for me to come back. One of the last times one of the boys gave me this letter,
" Dear Miss. Tyler,
Thank you for substute teaching in our class. I don't know about anyone else but I think you will become a good teacher if thats what you want to do if you aren't alwady. have a good day.
from Alexander Carlson"
It basically warmed my heart.
Awww.....!

So, pretty much, it's things like that which make teaching worth it, even when you get a few classes which are absolute horrors! Unfortunately, I doubt I will get very many "I love you" cards from students teaching high school. However, I ultimately decided to go for high school because I think I would enjoy teaching a more advanced subject matter. Also, a lot of teaching in elementary school is just disciplining the students and getting them to behave, which isn't too fun for me. I'd rather just stay at home and have fun with my own kids! If I have to discipline students, I would rather have them be high schoolers who really deserve it when they get in trouble (supposedly they should be able to act like adults). Anyway, that is basically a glance into the mysterious world of substitute teaching!

4 comments:

Diana said...

ha, i like your take on discipline! Cute notes are always so fun to get from students.

Chelsea and Evan said...

those pictures are seriously the cutest things ever! How is teaching highschool??? I always thought it would be scarry to subsitute for Jr High or High school! I am sure that you will keep them in line :) This definitely beats the last job!!!

Rodrigo Cañar Cisneros said...

Those pictures are cute. Good luck in your new job!!

Chelsea and Evan said...

TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE!!! Hope things are going well! Have you found another job yet? Have a great week :)