Friday, May 30, 2008

Another update for Chelsea :)

My good friend Chelsea pointed out that it has been awhile since I have posted. Just because I think so highly of her, I decided that now would be a good time to write... hehe. Basically I haven't written because we don't really have much to report. Right now we are in a waiting period for many things. First, I am still waiting to be hired for a new job. I have done a couple interviews so far, and I have at least one scheduled for next week. Hopefully I should be able start somewhere by the end of next week? Anyway, once I finally start training somewhere new there will be an announcement.
Secondly, we are waiting to see where we are going to be living for the next year. Our contract at our current residence, Wymount, ends on June 4th. So, we will begin moving out and doing the final cleaning probably tomorrow! I am a little bit sad to leave Wymount, it has been a pretty good place for us. However, we felt that it was time to move on and look for something with a few more modern conveniences. :) We weren't too excited about spending the summer with no A/C. We are also looking for an apartment with a dishwasher and washer/dryer in the unit. Yesterday I found an AMAZING deal on pretty much the apartment of our dreams, but we are not sure if we will get it because there were several other couples interested as well. So, I won't go into too much detail about it so I won't get my heart any more set on it before we know! If we don't get that apartment, we will most likely move with my parents for a month or so to save some money while we look for something else we can get really excited about. Before we move out of Wymount we will post some pictures and maybe video as a final tribute, and so those who haven't ever been to visit us can get a look at our first place!

In other "news," I am trying to get some reading done for fun since I have a little more spare time this summer. (warning: this will not be at all interesting to some) So far I have only finished one novel, but hopefully I will improve after I'm not so busy with job hunting and moving, etc. The first book I read was Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Supposedly it was one of the greatest war novels of all time. However, I was not really that impressed. It was okay, but nothing earth shattering. Now I am in the middle of reading three different books, hehe. The first is Beloved by Toni Morrison. It is a Nobel Prize winning novel set around the time of slavery. I haven't really gotten far enough to make a judgement about it, but hopefully it will be interesting. After I finish Beloved, I also want to read two other books by her which are kind of a series. Jazz set around the great migration, and Paradise set around the civil rights movement. The theme bringing the books together is basically examining three major events in black history, and specifically how women were affected by the movements in society at these different times. As a warning, none of these books are "G" rated! (not even close!) Anyway, with the Hemingway and Morrison books I am trying to get a better background in kind of the standard "classics" and scholarly literature. At the same time I have also been reading some more recent hits just for fun. I am about halfway through New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. I read Twilight a couple years as one of 30 different young adult novels I had to read for a class. I was a little disappointed in the writing quality after hearing rave reviews from different people. It was kind of fun to read, but definitely not "great writing"... oh boy! Anyway, it is extremely cheesy and over-dramatic, but I am actually enjoying reading New Moon. I'll select a few highlights from the book so far so those who aren't familiar with the novel can get a feel for it: I think the narrator's first description of her boyfriend is pretty classic, "I couldn't feel anything but despair until I pulled into the familiar parking lot behind Forks High School and spotted Edward leaning motionlessly against his polished silver Volvo, like a marble tribute to some forgotten pagan god of beauty," .........for reals? I think the quote speaks for itself without commentary. A couple chapters into the book he breaks up with her and leaves because he decides it's not safe for him to be with her ( he is a vampire). Pretty much this completely ruins her life and makes her very existence absolutely meaningless. The next pages pass October, Novemeber, December, and January--totally blank--because her life is now empty without Edward. What a great message to send young girls! If your 16 and your boyfriend breaks up with you, you might as well die! Yikes! Then whenever she thinks about him even many months later she feels like this, "it was a crippling thing, this sensation that a huge hole had been punched through my chest, excising my most vital organs and leaving ragged, unhealed gashes around the edges that continued to throb and bleed despite the passage of time. Rationally, I knew my lungs must still be intact, yet I gasped for air and my head spun like my efforts yielded me nothing. My heart must have been beating, too, but I couldn't hear the sound of my pulse in my ears; my hands felt blue with cold. I curled inward, hugging my ribs to hold myself together." Dang girl! Melodramatic much? Anyways, the books have been very successful and there is a movie about the first book coming out soon. Could be interesting.

Well, I think this post is long enough for today. Hopefully we will have some good news to write about soon!

2 comments:

Denée Tyler said...

Wow, Alison. I can see the future English teacher coming out in you. Excellent review!

Chelsea and Evan said...

SWEET! That post rocked especially the title!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks :) It sounds like things are hopefully coming together with the apartment and job. Best of luck!!! We need to chit-chat soon!!!