Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Making plans

Dear blogging world:

I definitely kept you in suspense with that last post, huh? Well, pretty much I have just been trying to keep my head above water this semester in school. Luckily, this is sort of my last semester. It is my last full-load-on-campus semester, anyway. I will probably need to wrap up a couple classes over the summer and then in the fall I will be spending my days at... (drumroll...) ...Mapleton Junior High, teaching seventh grade English. I am super excited. I am doing an internship, which is awesome for two reasons. Reason # 1: I don't have to do regular student teaching (hooray!!!!) Although I have had good experiences with my practicum teaching, it's just difficult to teach in someone else's classroom to someone else's students. Which brings me to Reason # 2: I finally get to have my own classroom. Throughout all of my education classes I have been really anxious to put everything into practice, design my own units, etc. For this first year there is a framework already set up, but I will be the one deciding how to tweak it. Anyway, this is very exciting for me. I asked my ninth grade brother for advice about teaching seventh grade and he told me, "Just remember that they're crazy and they're sevies." (Sevies is the junior high equivalent of squashmores, I'm pretty sure it's a new invention since when I was in junior high.) Anyway, from what I have seen so far, I think he is pretty much right. Luckily I like craziness so I think this next year will be a BLAST!


In other news, Michael just got back from a week in New York City. He went with the other Graphic Design BFA students to see how the business is in NYC. It is a little bit funny because before the trip he was 99% sure he wanted to find a job in NYC after he graduates, but now he is having second thoughts. He decided that the simple life is not so bad after all! Still, he had a good time and it is definitely still a possibility for us sometime in the future.... we are just really not sure right now. But, I am excited to at least have this next year planned (finally.) After that, who knows!

6 comments:

Diana said...

Can you imagine teaching school in NY tho?
Congrats on the job--gooooooood luck

Unknown said...

Congrats on the internship - my husband is currently interviewing all over alpine school district for an internship..I just pray he gets one cause you forgot reason #3 - it's paid! Good luck with the seventh graders!

Alison said...

Diana-
I would actually love to teach in NYC. One of my dreams is to teach in a really ghetto neighborhood. It might be scary, but I feel like that's a place where a good teacher can really make a difference, you know?

Rochelle-
Thanks! Good luck to your husband! And yes, reason # 3 is another reason that I wanted to get an internship but I forgot about it at the moment, hehe.

Denée Tyler said...

First of all, I like the new background. Where did you get it from? Second of all, I am almost as excited as you are about the internship. Yeah!!! Congrats!!!

Amy Gregory said...

Congratulations on the internship!! Those are hard to get. You'll do an awesome job.

Alison said...

Mom-
I got the background from http://www.shabbyblogs.com/