Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summa, Summa, Summatime

So,we've come to about the midway point of summer break now, and I am starting to FREAK OUT! I am going to be a "real" teacher in just two months--what!?! Fortunately or unfortunately, we have a lot going on to keep me distracted and make the time fly by.

First, I am volunteering with the migrant summer school program at Springville Junior High. It has been a blast! I felt totally intimidated the first couple days, but now I am getting into the hang of it and I have been learning a lot about teaching literacy and language development. For the first few weeks we have been learning about mummies. I have actually learned a lot... probably more than I want to know about the subject. In relation to that, we have also been teaching the kids about how to make inferences and use evidence to come to conclusions. I am going to be posting more specific things about my summer school lessons on my teacher blog. After the mummy unit, I have to plan a 5 day unit and I am getting pretty excited about it...

Mike is enjoying his internship at Eli Kirk. It has been fun for him to work for a company with "real" clients instead of just the in-house work he was doing at BYU Viscom for the conferences and workshops. It has also been keeping him busy at work--which is a very good thing.

Whenever Mike isn't at work, he has been spending his time watching the World Cup. He is pretty obsessed. We don't have cable, and he was considering ordering it just for a month so he could watch all the games. However, he found out that he can get most of the games through Spanish channels like Univision for free. Unfortunately, the signal doesn't come through very clear for us, so he has gone crazy buying all sorts of digital antennas and trying to find which ones work best... then taking them back to the store and exchanging them for new in a never-ending cycle. Our TV room/office has cords going everywhere right now. It is driving me nuts, but luckily it will all be over in a month. :) I will admit it is kind of fun watching some of the games, go USA!

Well, that's all for now--Happy Father's Day weekend to everyone!

P.S. Mike never actually went out in public with the mustache from our last post, for anyone who may have been concerned. Of course, he did put it as his profile picture on facebook which is pretty much just as bad. SIGH! :)

No comments: